Excitement continues to run high here at OWCN headquarters as more and more of our affiliates create profiles in the new OWCN Responder Database. Why so excited? Well, here are just a few of our many reasons:
- Easy to update, personally managed profile. Moved across the state? Spent the last 3 months completing a sea turtle rescue internship? Got a new phone number? Update your contact information and experience profile with just a few clicks!
- No more waiting for approval to take webinars! Once you’re in the system, you’ll be able to access our webinars on a whim, day or night. We expect the streamlined process to be much more convenient for our responders, and poor Becky won’t have to approve each registration by hand 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Log in to view and sign up for upcoming in-person trainings & events. Your saintly over-worked OWCN Contacts will no longer have to forward training announcements to you. Signing up for trainings & events will become a consistent, easy process.
- Reduced email frequency. Who doesn’t wish their inbox was a little calmer? You’ll have more control too – just let the system know whether or not you’d like a reminder email the day before a training, and rest easy in the knowledge that your wishes will be done.
- View qualifications/training status at any time – no more wondering whether you have completed the prerequisites for a staff position or upcoming training! No more trying to track down what trainings you have completed!
So, how can you be a part of this wonderful program? Well, start by creating your profile. By now, the majority of you should have received your sign-up invitation. If you haven’t, check in with the OWCN contact at your member organization. It should be on its way in the next week or so.
Remember that unless and until you create a profile in this new system, you will not be able to participate in OWCN trainings/events, nor will you be called on as staff or pre-trained volunteers in the event of a spill. We don’t want to lose anyone during this transition, so please don’t wait to create your profile! We will be switching completely to this new system on January 4, 2015.
We’ll be sending out more information on how to use your shiny new responder profile, including how to sign up for events and make sure all your qualifications are accurately represented, in the not-too-distant future.
So here’s to our wonderful new database system – and here’s to you, our wonderful responders!