For those who haven’t heard, our 8-hr HAZWOPER Refresher is now available year-round! Previously, we held two month-long sessions of availability in June and November; however we wanted to provide our responders with the option to take the Refresher anytime.
Even though it is easier to take the Refresher, since it is available year-round, there are still a few rules that you should keep in mind:
- If you have taken the initial 24-hr HAZWOPER course, you must complete a Refresher every year. If it has been more than a year since you last took a Refresher (or the 24-hr course), you are out of compliance and cannot respond until you have taken your Refresher (instructions on how to take the Refresher are below).
- If you are out of compliance and there is a spill, you are probably going to be out of luck, as we will not have time to check Refresher exams and update everyone’s profile – so go do it now, don’t wait!
- If it has been more than two years since you have taken your initial 24-hr HAZWOPER course or your last Refresher, you must re-take the entire 24h-hr course (which most people agree is not the most fun thing to do, so make sure you stay current). If you are a glutton for punishment and have let your HAZWOPER lapse (or just want to take the course over again), we will have several 24-hr courses scheduled throughout California in 2016, although we don’t have exact dates yet.
- Even though the Refresher is available year-round, you have one month to complete the 3 modules, so plan accordingly.
- Don’t forget that the OWCN Core webinars are required before you can access the Refresher. So if you have not taken these 4 webinars (or are missing a few), make sure you sign up to take them. You can check whether you have completed these by logging into your profile, hovering over “My Profile”, and selecting “Qualifications”.
You can sign up for the Refresher (and the Core Webinars) through your OWCN online profile, by logging in at MyVolunteerPage.com. If it has been less than a year since you last took a Refresher, you can sign up under “Opportunities” and will automatically be able to access the refresher from your “Schedule” page. Just find the title of the Refresher in your “Schedule” page, and click on the “i” next to the title. A box will pop up with the appropriate links. If it has been over a year since your last Refresher, you will be able to sign up in “Opportunities”, but not access the Refresher. Once an OWCN staff member has checked that you are eligible to take it, you will then get access through your “Schedule” page.
Thank you, and happy refreshing!
Becky and Kyra.