The Individual Oiled Animal Program, which started in 1998, was created to prepare OWCN member organizations for oil spill response by encouraging the utilization of OWCN animal care protocols while rehabilitating birds contaminated with unidentified sources of petroleum. Additionally, oil samples collected from these patients allow us to better characterize environmental contamination from unknown sources of petroleum along the coast of California.
Traditionally, our Member Organizations who wish to be a part of this program report an oiled animal by calling it into our hotline and then submitting their patient medical records and oiled animal evidence to us by mail, but all that is going to change soon!
Starting on January 1st, 2020, our Individual Oiled Animal reporting and compensation program will be available only through WRMD (Wildlife Rehabilitation Medical Database; a free wildlife medical record database). We believe this will be a more efficient process with enhanced data collection ability and easier reporting!
If you are one of our Member Organizations, here is what this means for you:
- In order to report and receive reimbursement for care of Individual Oiled Animals, you will need to have a WRMD account.
- Creating a patient’s record in WRMD and saving specific data for that patient will generate an email report to OWCN advising us of your receipt of an Individual Oiled Animal as well as allow us to access that patient’s WRMD record.
- You will care for the patient as normal, using OWCN protocols, and complete the patient’s medical record in WRMD.
- If you are a Primary Care Facility, you will be collecting oiled evidence and washing Individual Oiled Animals and will need to fill out the pertinent data in the animal’s WRMD record.
- You will no longer be required to call and report Individual Oiled Animals through our hotline or submit paper medical records in order to receive reimbursement, however submission of the monthly report and invoice are still required.
We hope this program will greatly improve Individual Oiled Animal response and our ability to learn from these animals and we look forward to working with all of you to make this as smooth and exciting a transition as possible!